What is Provigil and how it works?
Provigil and Modafinil are actually the same. Well, Modafinil is the name of the active substance, while Provigil is the brand name, and there are no differences between these two names.
Provigil is a wakefulness agent. In simple words, this medication influences the level of dopamine production in a brain — dopamine is a brain chemical that is responsible for motivation, memory, focus and other important functions. Although Modafinil was designed for treating narcolepsy, excessive sleepiness and some other sleep problems (such as pauses in breathing during sleep, it’s called sleep or night apnea), it’s now commonly used as the so-called “smart drug” — a medication that helps to improve memory and focus.
And let’s be honest, Provigil is very good at it. The list of possible side effects is not very long and they are rare, the possibility of addiction is very low, and the positives outweigh the negatives.
How to take Provigil?
There are a few rules that will help you to get only positive effects of Modafinil without any side effects and problems. Here they are:
- Drink water. Provigil is a diuretic and it can remove water and salt from your body. It can lead to the most common side effect of Provigil, headache. Drinking water during the day will most likely help you not to get head pain.
- Don’t forget to eat something. Provigil (dosing doesn’t matter, even 50mg can have such effect) can suppress your appetite. It can be good, but we do not recommend to use Provigil as a weight loss pill, because it can exhaust your organism resources. Moreover, one shouldn’t forget that when the brain works, it consumes calories, and when you use Modafinil, your brain works much faster. This means that you will lose calories faster when you’re on Modafinil, and together with suppressed appetite this can make you feel bad. When you’re taking this drug, you should force yourself to eat something even if you don’t want to.
- Take Provigil in the morning. People often make a mistake when take a pill late in the day, and then they think that Modafinil works wrong because they can’t sleep at night. Such problem is possible because Modafinil usually works for 12-14 hours, so if you take it in the afternoon, you will most likely have problems with sleep in the evening. Take a pill in the early morning and you will not have such a problem.
- Don’t use Modafinil to work the whole night (unless you really need it). This medication can help you to work without any sleep for a few days (the American military tests have shown that Modafinil can make a soldier stay awake for 40 hours) but it may also lead to some problems. After one or two nights without sleep you will probably feel very exhausted and you’ll need to sleep for a longer time to restore body energy reserves.
- Don’t drink too much coffee. We understand for the great majority of Americans it’s quite difficult to wake up without a cup (or two) of coffee, but the combination of caffeine and Modafinil can be dangerous. Such a mix can remove water from your body even faster, and the state of anxiety can appear. The more common effect is a reducing of tolerance to caffeine — with Modafinil you can drink one cup of coffee instead of drinking 3-4 cups and you’ll get the same effects.
- Make a plan. It should be a very detailed plan, and we recommend you to put even more details to it — such as how much time you want to spend on different tasks and what time each of these tasks should be finished by. Why is it necessary? Because Provigil makes you very focused and with this medication, you want the things to be done perfectly. It means that, well, if you don’t have a plan you can play videogames for 8 hours instead of work — you’ll be very focused and get good results, but who cares if you should’ve finished your project by the evening? In order not to waste your day, make a detailed plan.
And now let’s finally talk about Provigil dosage information.
Provigil doses are actually very clear and easy to understand. Most of patients are usually prescribed to take 200mg of this medication per day — it’s an average Provigil recommended dosage. As we’ve said before, it’s better to take a pill in the morning, and your doctor will tell you the same. Of course, those who have shift work sleep disorder (sleep problems because of rotating and irregular shifts) shouldn’t always take pills in the morning. They should take a pill one hour before the work in order to perform better and to be more alert. Well, let’s talk about doses in details:
- Usual Provigil dosage for narcolepsy if 200mg once a day (in the morning, of course). Such amount of medication lets people with narcolepsy to improve wakefulness. 200mg of Provigil is enough to sleep enough (even by sleeping less), but it’s not enough to overdose and to get some unwanted side effects. That’s why 200mg is considered to be a perfect dose.
- People with sleep apnea and other problems with breathing during the night should also take 200mg of Provigil in the morning.
- Patients with shift work sleep disorder, as we’ve already said, should also take 200mg of the medication. The only difference is that morning isn’t always a perfect time to take a pill for them — such people should take a pill one hour before their work starts.
These doses are for healthy patients between 18 and 65. It’s not recommended for those who are younger than 18 to take Modafinil, and people after 65 should take a lower dose (if it’s necessary). Liver and kidney problems can be the reason of reducing the dose, too — if your liver isn’t healthy enough, you will most likely take half of the 200mg pill in the morning. Your doctor will tell you more about it.
There is also one important thing for you to remember. Modafinil is good when it comes to sleep problems, because it really helps you to get enough sleep, but here is a problem. This medication is not (and it shouldn’t be) a replacement for a healthy sleep. It can make you feel fresh and energized from the early morning, but you still have to sleep enough, because your organism must refresh its resources. Don’t forget about all these simple rules and you’ll get no side effects and other problems from Modafinil.